Aspergers & Autism Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Food dislikes

Go down 
+4
SarahHolmes
Skye
Sophie-Anne
admin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptySat 12 Sep 2009, 2:39 pm

Alex doesn't like butter on his toast, tomatoes, beetroot, 'tangy' sweets or pickled onions!
Tends to be extreme foods, types that are sharp to taste and strangely textured. [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sophie-Anne

Sophie-Anne

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptySat 12 Sep 2009, 5:13 pm

[b][color:3099=violet]I don't like the texture of mince (feels like grains of dirt) and I often find I will eat the same thing every night for ages aswell [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/lol.gif[/img] [/color][/b]
[b][color:3099=#ee82ee]I couldn't stand butter it was too rich for me (which was not good as I'm a huge marmite fan - it doesn't spread well) but I don't mind having a little bit these days[/color][/b]
[b][color:3099=#ee82ee]Can't stand yogurts with bits in (but I don't mind the vanilla and choco ball muller corners)[/color][/b]
[b][color:3099=#ee82ee]Basically anything with little bits in like orange juice, jam etc[/color][/b]
[b][color:3099=#ee82ee]I can't stand tomato or anything with tomato flavouring[/color][/b]
[b][color:3099=#ee82ee]Which obviously rules out me eating soup - if it doesn't have bits in then it's tomato flavour [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [/color][/b]
Back to top Go down
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptySun 13 Sep 2009, 9:45 pm

scrambled eggs! or cats bogies as Alex puts it! [img]http://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/other/pukeface.gif[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sophie-Anne

Sophie-Anne

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptySun 13 Sep 2009, 9:55 pm

[b][color:6127=violet]I don't like orange peas (beans) as I used to call them [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/lol.gif[/img] [/color][/b]
Back to top Go down
Skye

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptySun 13 Sep 2009, 10:58 pm

My daughter Libby only eats a few different foods. She will not try or taste anything new. If I somehow get her to try something she sticks it on her tongue and then spits all over the table and herself.
Part list of things she will not eat include: beans, peas, burgers, sausages, vegetables except for broccoli, potatoes unless they are roasted, hummous, milk, cream, custard, gravy, ham, chicken, pies, etc. This list goes on and on. Maybe it's better if we do it the other way. Things she will eat are peanut butter sandwiches, pasta with soft cheese, cheese pizza, fish fingers with smiley faces, tomatos and most fruit. This is a major problem at our end. Any good suggestions to help are appreciated. We are currently using a fussy food PECS board but it's not really working. Possibly going on a GFCF diet after results come back from Sunderland Autism Research Unit about possible problems with gluten and casein. I don't know what we will do! Anyone else use this diet? Let me know. XO Skye
Back to top Go down
SarahHolmes
SarahHolmes

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyMon 14 Sep 2009, 12:34 am

Hi Skye

Well I will say don't panic! My daughter was the same but as she's got older she has learnt to try things and surprised herself!

Try not to put too much pressure on her as I found this didn't help, if there is something you want her to try then just put it on everyone elses plate and casually have a conversation about how nice it is (without being obvious lol) avoid joining your daughter in the conversation (so it's not to obvious and she is not the center of attention), I bet eventually curiosity will get the better of her and she'll give it a try!

Good luck

[img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_flower.png[/img]
Back to top Go down
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyMon 14 Sep 2009, 1:00 am

I agree Sarah, trying not to make a big deal out of dinner time otherwise it may seem like a chore and increases the stress of it all.
We praise our kids for at least trying, if it goes in the mouth and out again then a positive praise will reduce the 'failure' feeling of not eating something. I know how frustrating it can be when you know that your child isn't eating properly.

Also we reduced the size of the portions so it seemed less daunting and less of a challenge when being confronted by the plate. The reward base for trying food or eating food would be the 'dessert', it's a great incentive to finish the meal and we always have something that they really, really like!

Other ideas we persued was the preparation and making of food, let the kids experiment! It's fun, messy and can motivate the senses - feeling the ingredients, smelling it etc. They can feel very independent in the process.

Alex loves to make himself his weetabix and drink in the morning. He runs through the steps with me, only Alex knows the exact amount of milk to have on his weetabix to avoid being soggy or too crispy. Something that I always get wrong!

I'm sure lots of people will have ideas on this.
Let us know how you progress [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Back to top Go down
AJ The Sheep Doctor

AJ The Sheep Doctor

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyMon 14 Sep 2009, 7:09 pm

Mushrooms (yuk slimy - Josh's words), onions (cooked or not), most veg, all fruit except grapes, fruit squash that isn't red, no butter in sandwiches, no melted cheese, only Heinz ketchup, the list goes on. On the positive, Josh has reached an age where he is willing to try food, with a usually amusing reaction. He has found he now likes korma curries and bacon this way.
Wouldn't change him for the world though.
Back to top Go down
SarahHolmes
SarahHolmes

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyMon 14 Sep 2009, 7:47 pm

Josh sound's like my daughter lol. She always liked 'traditional' dinners as a youngster which caused other parents to tell me she was fussy!! just because she didn't like 'kids' food like burgers and pizza! [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

She too didn't like butter (although will have a little bit now) and she can't stand melted cheese either although she loves the unmelted variety!
Back to top Go down
Rachel Pictor

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyThu 01 Oct 2009, 1:58 pm

When I was a kid I hated almost all vegetables, anything 'new', fizzy drinks, anything with a skin on and anything hot served without ketchup. I still hate cheese on pizza (unless it's goat's cheese), soggy cereal (I eat mine really fast to avoid this) and any pork products, animal skin, fatty bits or bones. Also, butter or spread in a sandwich is a real turn off!

On the plus side, as others have noticed, the fruit and veg do get a lot more palatable with age and experience.

My advice - don't panic - just wait and let it come naturally.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rachelpictor.co.uk
AJ The Sheep Doctor

AJ The Sheep Doctor

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyThu 01 Oct 2009, 2:03 pm

ketchup, ketchup, ketchup! According to Josh it goes with EVERYTHING! From the traditional to the bizarre! Sweet and sour balls from the chinese? With ketchup. tuna pasta salad? Yep, with ketchup! We go through almost a bottle a week, and it has to be Heinz. Makes me chuckle! I love him to bits for his quirky ways.
Back to top Go down
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyFri 02 Oct 2009, 12:13 am

[quote:95fb="AJ The Sheep Doctor"]ketchup, ketchup, ketchup! According to Josh it goes with EVERYTHING! From the traditional to the bizarre! Sweet and sour balls from the chinese? With ketchup. tuna pasta salad? Yep, with ketchup! We go through almost a bottle a week, and it has to be Heinz. Makes me chuckle! I love him to bits for his quirky ways.[/quote] [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_biggrin.png[/img] Tell me about it! With Alex it's brown sauce all the way! You'd think we owned shares in the company!
Back to top Go down
Pentoon

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptySun 11 Oct 2009, 1:37 am

We have always had the "there's your dinner, eat it or go without" approach but I do make sure that I make stuff the boys like.

Oscar hates toast except in two circumstances so when I do scrambled eggs on toast for his brother for lunch Oscar prefers to have a tin of baked beans. One whole tin, nothing else.

He has a high sensitivity to pain so anything remotely spicy has him drinking gallons of water, even some kids' gingerbread and certain sausages. We have become very cautious about even mild flavourings.

Apart from that he will try anything (apart from green beans and cabbage) but there are rules. He will not eat carrots unless they are cut into circles, any carrot sticks on his plate make him very angry.

He also loves ketchup and even asked for it on his spaghetti bolognaise the other day! Anything fishy as well, tuna pesto pasta is a favourite, fish pie and especially prawns and smoked salmon - not that we can afford that all the time and I feel a little resentful when I do because his style of eating is to cram as much into his mouth as possible then swallow it down quickly. He is alwasy very appreciative of the treats though.
Back to top Go down
daisymall13

daisymall13

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptySun 11 Oct 2009, 6:53 am

my brother has ketchup on everything but sandwiches and pasta bake, and i don't have ketchup on anything except for ketchup sandwiches (which are really nice) and pasta bake
Back to top Go down
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes EmptyTue 13 Oct 2009, 9:11 pm

I just wanted to add my own dislikes!

most fruit except bananas, oranges and dried pineapple/apricot (if that counts?!)

most vegetables except peas, potatoes, carrots (but only in a stew), onions, runner beans, baked beans.

I don't like custard or angel delight.

...I'm still thinking of others things...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food dislikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food dislikes   Food dislikes Empty

Back to top Go down

Food dislikes
Page 1 of 1