Aspergers & Autism Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Autism can be reversed?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

Autism can be reversed? Empty
PostSubject: Autism can be reversed?   Autism can be reversed? EmptyThu 10 Sep 2009, 8:09 pm

I have a new friend on Facebook who said her daughter was diagnosed with autism, then 18 months later she was given the 'all clear'.

Is there hope?

[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/edit.php?officers&gid=129474755804#/Autism.can.be.reversable]Autism can be reversible[/url]
Back to top Go down
SarahHolmes
SarahHolmes

PostSubject: Re: Autism can be reversed?   Autism can be reversed? EmptyThu 10 Sep 2009, 11:04 pm

I'm not sure about that, BUT, I do think people can learn to adapt and adjust. Sophie has learnt that saying's are not always literal, it took her years and years but eventually she learnt to accept that a saying is just some rubbish people say and not a literal statement. e.g saying to her 'I'll be there in 2 minutes' when she was young caused huge problems because, of course, I was often longer than that! She now accepts that when people say "I'll be there in 2 minutes" they are talking rubbish and they could well be 10 minutes. I'm not sure she likes it any more than she did then but after years of me trying to explain the concept of 'sayings' she did learn to accept that it's just one of those strange things people say!

So no - I don't believe it's reversable and I'm not going to comment on someone else without knowing them but I do believe that to a certain extent people are cabable of learning how the world works and accepting it even if it makes no sense to them.
Back to top Go down
Pentoon

PostSubject: Re: Autism can be reversed?   Autism can be reversed? EmptySun 11 Oct 2009, 1:27 am

[quote:7d9f="SarahHolmes"]. Sophie has learnt that saying's are not always literal, it took her years and years but eventually she learnt to accept that a saying is just some rubbish people say and not a literal statement. e.g saying to her 'I'll be there in 2 minutes' when she was young caused huge problems because, of course, I was often longer than that! [/quote]

When he was younger if I told Oscar I'd do something in a minute he used to count down from 60 then have a fit if I wasn't quite ready. Now when I say it he asks if I mean a literal or a figurative minute, though a figurative minute can't be longer than fifteen literal minutes, apparently.

I don't believe Aspergers can be reversed, I think a lot is coping mechanisms. I also think that, especially when children are younger, it is easy to think that they are Aspergers when they might just be having a temporary difference in their development. I had a friend who was told (unofficially) by a health care professional that her three year old toddler had ASD because she hardly spoke. It turned out the kid was just a bit of a perfectionist and felt embarrassed when she mispronounced something so wouldn't say it until she could say it properly. She's growing up with no other signs of ASD at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Autism can be reversed?   Autism can be reversed? Empty

Back to top Go down

Autism can be reversed?
Page 1 of 1