Aspergers & Autism Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Office send off! eek!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

Office send off! eek! Empty
PostSubject: Office send off! eek!   Office send off! eek! EmptyThu 01 Oct 2009, 12:52 am

Most of you who know me on Facebook may have followed today's events! [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/at.png[/img]

Basically, I was moving to a different department today and they had arranged a little presentation with food afterwards.. eek! [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_pale.gif[/img]

The night before I was replaying the scene over and over again, trying to rehearse the impossible, you know little speeches etc! It wasn't going to work in reality and true to form I didn't say a great deal but I looked appreciative which was good enough. I barely managed the social eating, sticking to my mug of coffee like some manic baby refusing to give their bottle of milk up! [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_tongue.png[/img] lol.

However on a good point I managed to perform a lot of successful one to one's with people and they were honestly going to miss me, so that was nice.

The event did drain all of my energy though and I feel a bit 'beaten up' - but I survived another day! [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_bounce.gif[/img]
Back to top Go down
Rachel Pictor

PostSubject: I know that feeling!   Office send off! eek! EmptyThu 01 Oct 2009, 12:20 pm

It probably seems crazy to anyone without AS. On the face of it these events should be really positive and a great chance to have a laugh with colleagues you've enjoyed working with. What you said about "clinging to the coffee cup" rings true!

It's a great safety barrier and having a drink is a nice way to avoid talking when you're struggling to think what to say.

I'm glad you coped so well with the situation. I've had a few awkward leaving 'do's' and yours sounded like one of the better ones. Well done! This is a great example of how Aspie's can adapt and make the best of situations that are normally terrifying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rachelpictor.co.uk
AJ The Sheep Doctor

AJ The Sheep Doctor

PostSubject: Re: Office send off! eek!   Office send off! eek! EmptyThu 01 Oct 2009, 1:24 pm

Yesterday Josh had a very up and down day. He was removed from his PE lesson for refusing to play lacrosse, prefering instead to roll backwards and forward across the pitch disrupting the class! Made me chuckle, but obviously has a serious side to it. He was also removed from Health and Social care (his favourite lesson) for disrupting the class.
Then, we had a pre arranged meeting in the school to try and put things in place to help Josh. I found it quite overwhelming, so goodness knows what Josh thought, he hasn't said much. We were there with his student manager, SENCO, head of learning support, and an autistic outreach lady. They want to look at a more visual approach with Josh, using coloured cards to identify problems, work out strategies for 'time out' during lessons, and find support groups in the area for us and activities with other children with aspergers for Josh to make him understand he's not alone with this, as he feels he is on his own with the world against him at the moment. I have never seen him as miserable as he has been in the last 6 weeks and I feel at a loss what to do to make things better for him. He has said if school doesn't get better he's not going any more and to be honest, theres no way I could make him go to school if he went that way as he is as big as I am and I couldn't put him under that much stress, trying to get him there.
Let's hope, with the meeting out of the way, Josh can have a better dsay today.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Office send off! eek!   Office send off! eek! EmptyThu 01 Oct 2009, 6:35 pm

Meetings at school were always a nightmare...i often felt out of control of my own childs welfare, strange feeling. I hope things work out and Josh's SENCO is supportive.

I had issues with my daughter refusing to go to school in 2000, and when i did manage to get her there she would scream alot and hide under tables! I was always told that i would be taken to court and fined 2500 if i did not make the effort to get her to school, but there was no awareness of the condition then, not even if you had a diagnosis. I am glad things seem to have moved on and it looks like they are trying to formulate a plan to help and support Josh.

I hope he has had a better day today too [img]https://2img.net/i/fa/i/smiles/icon_flower.png[/img]
Back to top Go down
admin
Admin
Admin
admin

PostSubject: Re: Office send off! eek!   Office send off! eek! EmptyThu 01 Oct 2009, 11:33 pm

[quote:5806="Rachel Pictor"]It's a great safety barrier and having a drink is a nice way to avoid talking when you're struggling to think what to say.[/quote]Yes, it's amazing isn't it, that cup of coffee was a godsend!
Also it's right that any NT wouldn't have thought twice about the event! At the end of the day we have to believe it's not our fault, we don't want to act that way but we can only try to make it the best we can and we know it can be really hard sometimes so hats off to all of us for trying!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Office send off! eek!   Office send off! eek! Empty

Back to top Go down

Office send off! eek!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aspergers & Autism Forum :: Today's Aspie experiences?-
Jump to: